Hornady 416 Caliber A-Tip Match .416 Diameter 500 Grain 25 Count Box
The Hornady 416 Caliber A-Tip Match with Years of research and testing by the Hornady Ballistic Development Group, combined with advanced manufacturing processes and quality control measures have led to the creation of the ultimate low drag, high performance match bullet.
- Aluminum tip is precision machined and longer than polymer tips which moves the center of gravity and enhances inflight stability.
- Aeroballistically advanced tip design results in tighter groups and reduced drag variability.
- Perfect blend of ogive, tip length, bearing surface and optimized boattail by caliber.
- Doppler radar verified low drag coefficient (high BC) bullets are forgiving of twist rate, seating depth and muzzle velocity.
- Refined design of the AMP bullet jacket offers industry leading uniformity and concentricity.
- Right off the press sequentially packaged, one clone after another for the ultimate in consistent performance.
- Minimal handling throughout the manufacturing process ensures consistency from bullet to bullet.
- Packaged with a polishing bag to prepare bullets for loading (bullets aren’t bulk washed after manufacture).
LARGE CALIBER A-TIPÂ®Â MATCH BULLET TWIST RATES
HornadyÂ®Â large caliberÂ A-TipÂ®Â Match bulletsÂ offer shooters the ultimate in performance at any distance to include Extreme Long Range (ELR). Unlike mono-metal, lathe turned solid copper or copper alloy bullets, A-TipÂ®Â bullets feature three components (gilding metal jacket, lead core & aluminum tip) that are carefully designed to maximize bullet performance at supersonic, transonic and subsonic velocities. Accuracy and overall consistency are key, particularly when shooting ELR. In order to take advantage of the advanced performance offered by the large caliber A-TipÂ®Â bullets, shooters must use appropriate barrel twist rates that work with these jacketed bullets.
Twist rate refers to the rate of spin in the rifle barrel and is represented in inches per turn. For instance, a twist rate of 1:10 means the bullet will spin one revolution in 10 inches of barrel. A faster twist rate may spin the bullet one revolution in only 8 inches of barrel and would be expressed as 1:8. The lower the number, the faster the spin.
The barrel’s twist causes the bullet to spin on its axis as it flies through the air â like a quarterback throwing a football with a tight spiral â for greater accuracy and stability.
So, why do other bullets need extremely fast twist rates? The short answer is because they’re so long.
Traditional ELR bullets are turned on a lathe out of solid material with no lead. They have to be longer to produce the weight necessary to reduce drag. But that also requires an extremely fast twist rate to spin them up for stability in flight.
HornadyÂ®Â large caliber A-TipÂ®Â Match bullets, on the other hand, are conventional, jacketed, lead-core projectiles. Because lead is denser than the lathe-turned material of other bullets, A-TipÂ®Â bullets don’t have to be as long and don’t require faster twist rates such as 1:8 or 1:9.
In fact, abnormally fast twist rates put too much torque on a bullet and can deform the jacket. Use of large caliber A-TipÂ®Â bullets in fast twist barrels such as 1:8 to 1:10 may require reducing velocity and subsequent spin rate of the projectile for best results.
Hornady recommends the following twist rates for our larger caliber A-TipÂ®Â Match bullets:
- .416 caliber 500 grain â 1:12 twist rate
Expanded BC Values for A-TipÂ Match Bullets
- Mach 2.25 (2512 fps* and above)-Velocities above 2,500 fps and distances out to 300 yards.
- Mach 2.0 (2232 fps*)– Use this for mid-range shooting where the bullet spends time in flight after slowing down.
- Mach 1.75 (1953 fps*) -Use this for long-range shooting where much of the bullet flight occurs after velocity loss.
Hornady 416 Caliber A-Tip Match 500 Grain .416 Diameter
|BC Values||Mach 2.25||Mach 2||Mach 1.75|
WARNING: This product can expose you to Lead, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to – www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
MICHAEL (verified owner) –
This is a beautiful bullet made for the .416 Barrett cartridge. Unfortunately, no one including Hornady has a load for this bullet/cartridge combo; so that’s why I can’t comment on the performance of this bullet. This, with a cartridge that has won the King of Two Mile Competition in New Mexico and was developed by Barrett 16 years ago. Please put pressure on Hornady to come up with a load for this bullet/cartridge. Thank you